View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #41
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
And every time this argument comes up, I wish I could point out how little most authors make. Many assume that an author makes the majority cost of a paperback book (7 dollars) or a hardback book (25 to 35). That is not true. The author makes the least money in the chain. For a traditionally published author, she might make 35 cents per mass market book sold. For larger trade books, the author might make a dollar. For a 25 dollar hardback book, the standard contract pays the author in the neighborhood of 3.00 to 3.50.

It was a big deal when Stephen King was finally able to negotiation up to 50 percent of the cover price be paid to him. And only an author of his stature is able to do that. The rest of us take a standard contract and hope the book sells enough for a second printing.

The average traditionally published book sells 10,000 copies or less (print). This means that an author has to write many, many books to come close to making a living. That money might stretch longer now that a book doesn't go out of print (digital). But honestly. So few authors are making a living from writing fiction there is no need to shorten copyright to less than their lifespan. They aren't living off of a single song/book/series. While the famous names make a living at writing, most other authors hold down a day job and the writing side of life is barely supplemental.

And as someone said, I value IP just as much as physical goods. I come from a background at a company that was constantly inventing. A lot of time and training and pain goes into invention. A lot of WORK. A lot of bugs, fixes, redoing. A lot of yelling, reworking, negotiating. IP is huge effort and it deserves to be rewarded.

Just my thoughts. I know I won't change anyone's mind.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote