View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is a fairly anti-drm crowd, as you can see. BUT ignoring that argument, and instead trying to answer your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atanner View Post

http://www.dnldrm.com/

It seems that this one really works, and it is not possible to go around it.

1) Has anybody had any experience with them?
No, have not used it, but it is not possible to make a DRM that a person with sufficient motivation can not by pass. I am not even talking screen readers/etc. If the materiel can be read, it can be copied. If you are successful, then people will be motivated to remove the protection and pirate your book. So I would not pick one based on it being unable to be defeated, since any such claim is a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atanner View Post
2) If one MUST use DRM, which one would you recommend?

Thanks!
If I were to use DRM, I would stick with one of the major industry ones, such as the one on Kindle or the one on Nook. Yes, the process to de-drm them is well known, but both of them do a good job of staying out of the the way of legitimate reader. They do have the draw back of locking the reader in to a platform, but that is a trade off you make in today's market. The advantage is you tap an extremely wide user base to sell you books too. You may only appeal to a tiny percent, but the bigger the pool you look for that tiny percent in the better your chances are of finding them.

Last edited by VydorScope; 11-02-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: fix broken quote tag
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote