View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks, I corrected the camera spec. I had it listed wrong in my spreadsheet.

It's still more than compass and GPS, so I'll compare it to the the iPhone 4 (its contemporary):
  • Display: IPS vs none
  • Rear Cam: 5MP vs 0.7MP
  • Focus: auto focus vs fixed focus
  • Flash: yes vs none
  • RAM: 512MB vs 256MB
  • GPS: yes vs none
  • Compass: yes vs none
  • Battery: 1420mAh vs 930mAh
  • Size: 4.5 x 2.3 x 0.37" vs 4.4 x 2.3 x 0.28"
  • Weight: 4.8 oz vs 3.6 oz
The iPhone 4's battery is 53% larger and it has twice the RAM. The lack of IPS display in the iPod touch is noticeable and the lack of an auto-focusing camera prevents me from downloading a whole bunch of apps that require a real camera.

At the time of its introduction, the iPod touch's size prevented it from getting the thicker 5MP AF camera module and the larger 1420mAh battery of the iPhone 4. So being smaller and lighter was a severe handicap.
The unlocked iPhone 16GB model sells for $649. If Apple sold this without a phone radio, it would still be for well over $500. I doubt any of us would pay between $500 and $600 for phoneless iPhone labelled as an iPod touch! I seriously doubt you could even find a used and working iPhone 4 or 4s for the price of an iPod touch (which currently sells for under $200). I'm guessing a used iPhone 4 or 4s will be at least twice the price of the touch. It is simply not worth that amount to be used as an iPod only.

EDIT: The least pricy working iPhone 4 I could find on eBay was $335. Below that and they all had problems. Get below $300 and they usually have a broken screen or simply won't work!

Last edited by jswinden; 08-20-2012 at 01:32 PM.