View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #45
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Hammett and Chandler clearly rejected the English cozy mystery tradition , which they thought sissified and unrealistic.
Chandler spent many of his early years in England. His spelling is at times more British than American. I wonder if his years in rainy England brought his experience of California into stellar relief.

In any case, Chandler gets my vote. He is F. Scott Fitzgerald with bullets and just as much liquor. Must one be an alcoholic to be a genius author in America (or anywhere)?

I think the Long Goodbye takes the prize. I must try Hammett, but I find it hard to believe he is in the same league as Chandler. He transcended the genre. His characterization and description are sublime. Bloody dense read at times.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote