View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaThaka View Post
My comments:

- none of the eInk readers have enough resolution and PDF annotation support to really work properly for academic paper reading, annotations
- none of them have reference management

Now the tablets:

- ipad : iAnnotate is very good for PDF annotation. iPad walled garden anad management through it's own forced systems is very cumbersome (imho). It dictates your workflow, not the other way around. For ref management, Zotero and Mendeley are available. The screen is horrible for long term reading (imho, ymmv). Must use an anti-reflective screen protector

- Android tablets: same problems with screens. No reference management. Workflow is *MUCH* more flexible. Double the storage space (64GB internal + 64GB SDXC card).

- Amazon Fire HD+ / Nook HD +. Forked Android. You really have to hack these to make them work in any useful way. Other android limitations apply.

To me, there really aren't good enough reference management capable, academic paper reading (yes reading for hours, not just browsing for 20 minutes) and annotation tablets. iPad gets the closest, but it is horribly limited due to Apple and the screen really isn't very good for long-term reading, the reflections are just intolerable for me. Some are willing to live with this or get a semi-matte screen protectore.
Just to add that for reference management on the iPad, you can also use Sente, Bookends and Papers. I'm not sure about Bookends, but Papers and Sente have annotation features, although they are nowhere near as advanced as iAnnotate.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote