Thread: eBooks We Need
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #61
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I don't see the point of listing things that are not in the public domain.
Distributed Proofreaders, the major supplier of Project Gutenberg, has several threads discussing which classics are still missing.

The one book that seems to appear on all the lists is:

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (currently [May 2008] in progress at DP, in the first proofreading round)

Some of the rest (in no special order, comments by the volunteers who listed these):
  • Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
  • The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
  • Remembrance of things past by Marcel Proust
  • The Mathnawi by Jalalu'l-Din Rumi
  • The Bostan of Saadi (The Orchard) by Sheikh Saadi of Shiraz
  • The Death of Ivan Ilyich and other stories by Leo Tolstoy
  • The Bhagavad Gita
  • Metamorphoses by Ovid. PG does have a version of the metamorphoses, but a different (and arguably, much preferable) translation by Dryden is currently stuck in a queue somewhere at DP.
  • Fear and trembling by Soren Kierkegaard
  • La vita nuova by Dante Alighieri . (There's a particular edition I'd like to do. I've bought a copy for scanning the pages that Microsoft missed when they scanned it for TIA).
  • Pensées by Blaise Pascal. (PG already has an English translation. There's a particular French edition I'd like to do, one that includes the commentary by Voltaire. I have scans for the missing pages).
  • The social contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau. On my list to do.

Further lists, including their availability at PG or their status at DP:
Disclaimers:
  • Just because a book is being processed at DP doesn't mean you will get to see it soon at PG. The process sometimes takes years.
  • Sometimes only the 'wrong' translations are available.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote