View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #54
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think one of the keys here is scale. Because copying an album back then depended on actually knowing someone in real life that had it, there was a better chance you would end up having to buy it if you wanted a decent copy. With the Internet it's pretty much a guarantee that you will be able to find a fairly high-quality copy somewhere for free.
My roommate's dual-cassette player with high speed dubbing was the Napster of my dorm in 1983... I wouldn't have purchased the cassettes (or albums) because I was a broke college student selling my plasma twice a week for my spending money. I could buy a lot more blank cassettes and borrow from friends. If that outlet was not available, I dare say I would have done without. I will add that since then I've replaced many of those dubbed cassettes with purchased CDs.

There will always be darknet downloaders. I wonder whether there ever will be enough to justify treating honest consumers like criminals. I say that as a published author who hopes to publish more. I'd like to see a solution that combines the best of both--protection of copyright and freedom of use.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote