View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 AM   #14
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
I am well aware of torrent and binary newsgroups, but this is hardly stuff thats available to everybody, to most people downloading divx or other formats and getting this to play on their player (not laptop), is far to much hassle.
The MPAA disagrees with you.

Quote:
The MultiFormat eBooks cover a wider variety of reading devices and platforms, but because they are not encrypted, many large trade publishers will not allow their eBooks to be sold in these formats.
And if we step into reality, we find that this translates to:
"Many large trade publishers would rather not make money off of eBooks of their works. Because by not releasing their eBooks without DRM, they create a large unfulfilled market that will be satisfied by the pirates."

Because that's what happens. People won't pay paper price for leasing an eBook. Period.

And I'll point out again that this is EXACTLY the same argument used by the content cartel to shove the digital broadcast flags down our throats: "Give us protections not allowed by law or we will pack up our content and go home." An argument that has been proven false. If they don't sell content, they don't make money. It's as simple as that.

I won't buy DRMed content and everyday more people start doing the same - especially when they see the unreasonable restrictions placed on them by DRM and the content providers.

Quote:
Anyway at the end of the day we can agree to differ, but a book is hardly multiformat either and if you damage the media you are not entitled to a new one, at least with an open and flexible DRM model you could redownload what you might have deleted by accident.
1. You have no right to redownload an eBook you mistakenly deleted. With DRM content holders hold ALL the rights. You have no rights. The content holder may permit you to re-download, but you have no RIGHT to do so.
2. You make the invalid assumption that the company that you purchased the eBook from is still in business, still remembers that you purchased the eBook and still permits you to download it.

Quote:
If writing does not bring rewards then authors will stop writing especially if their work does not have some form of protection. You cannot rely on peoples honesty to feed your kids, pay your mortgage.
And we all know how well the RIAA is loved by treating fans and customers as criminals.

But you have already been proven wrong. People will pay and be honest - if the content is honestly provided and at a reasonable price.

I've already pointed out Fictionwise. I'll also add Cory Doctorow's works - which he makes available for free download - but also sell well. Podcasts like Escape Pod and Geek Fu Action Grip do well too. Also there's Podiobooks.com - who don't charge, but accept donations.

Quote:
Expecting them to give you carte blanche with their work to me just sounds wrong.
And expecting content creators to be able to break the copyright bargain without any justification definitely is wrong.

The world has changed (note past tense). The old business models for distributing content simply don't work in a world where the infrastructure not only permits, but facilitates, the easy copying of digital information in all forms.

Any company that sticks to the old business models is a dinosaur and like all good dinosaurs, they will become extinct.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote