View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Well. It seems that backup and maintenance are not fashionable. The PRS is not a computer ?

Anyway, for the information of the few that could be interested, I use now very satisfactorily a tool called grsync on Ubuntu. It's a very convenient graphical synchronisation tool. So, once the files have been sent with the right format to the PRS using calibre, I delete them and only rely on my synchro (with checksum included).

Every minor modification is now kept. Including bookmarks, collections, tags, whatever...Synchro lasts some seconds. So it's just a reflex to acquire, you add some new books, you make a synchro. Peace of mind.

As far as the idea of fsck, since the PRS-505 uses a Linux kernel, it should be possible, using a live-cd like rescuecd, to fsck the files. Still mulling about it though.

Last edited by roger64; 01-20-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: orthographical
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote