View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
Sorry, 1 question.. isit easy to set the language to English the moment you turn it on for the first time? Cos I can't read kanji at all... =(
Yes, when you first turn it on it gives you a list of all its languages, and it uses the one you select for the rest of the setup procedure.

This apparently also regionalizes your bookmarks in the eternally "experimental" browser, so setting it to Japanese gives you an amazon.co.jp link, while English instead gets you both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Snorkledorf, I am dying to see what the soft keyboard looks like on the PW. Can you post a picture of that? Is there a shift key between katakana, hiragana and kanji, and how in the world do you squeeze all these characters into the same space? I know in theory you double/triple tap one key, but still find it hard to picture.
Here's a screenshot!

It handles it similarly to the way it works on iOS: You have a qwerty keyboard where you enter e.g. "nihonngo" which appears in hiragana in the input field: "にほんご". Then above the keyboard you have a suggestions bar that gives you your options for transforming the input into kanji or katakana or whatever.

One nice thing is that since there are often many transformation options, there's a little icon that expands this bar to fill the screen. So you can select say the 47th option without scrolling for five minutes...

The second image is my best attempt at taking a screenshot of this mode: the multi-tap to take the screenshot kept dismissing the full-screen mode, so you see it here in mid-refresh. It only shows a few lines of what was a screen filled with options for "nihon." But you should be able to get the idea anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW-J kb.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	96832   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_11_26T12_27_37+0900.png
Views:	506
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	96833  
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote