View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Last year, some colleagues and I wrote a grant for the Dutch Science Foundation (NWO) aimed at funding a research project on the scholastic use of ebooks like the iLiad. (I thought it was such a good idea, what with iRex being right there!) We had a bunch of scholars onboard - researchers in typology, librarians, folks in special collections - but couldn't get the science foundation people or iRex interested in supporting the research. One claim we made was that current ebook designs fostered passive reading practices - reading for entertainment - rather than active reading for research (e.g. note-taking, highlighting, etc.) This seemed (and still seems) like a mistake to me - academics and researchers being probably the best fit for ebook early adoption! (Just like the book itself in its print configuration.) I find it so interesting that ebook companies like sony and iRex still haven't taken researchers on board as a market, but also that the researchers themselves (you all) have taken the ball into your own hands with projects like the aforementioned patches and the all-in-one iPdf.
You might want to try re-submitting your grant application, citing the posts in this thread and the various threads that describe the patches people are making to ipdf to support active reading and research.

You may also want to look at DotReader, which could be a killer app on the iLiad, as the iLiad supports wireless connectivity as well as pen input. Currently DotReader requires Mozilla, which is too heavy-weight to be practical on the iLiad, but perhaps a grant could fund porting it to a minimo or dillo platform. DotReader could do amazing things for collaborative research and review groups, in my opinion.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote