View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #74
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I still cannot agree.

Sometimes words don't follow the patterns, fair enough. However, most people know about those words, and they have always had these special meanings.
Yeah. And most people know that I could care less and I couldn't care less have the same meaning.

Quote:
You can't take out a word out of a sentence ("not", in the case of "I could care less") which basically causes the meaning of the sentence to reverse, and then say: "It still means the same because everybody will know what I mean!". In my view, that's just ridiculous and illogical. It's sloppy use of language.
It's the same thing we do when we say the prefix in- means one thing when it precedes valuable and something else entirely when it precedes conclusive . English is a sloppy language; that's just the reality.

I could care less and I couldn't care less mean the same thing. That's just the way it is.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote