View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Boyue Likebook (T103D) Mimas
"Live-blog" of the set-up process for my new Likebook Mimas

My Likebook Mimas booted up moments after I plugged it in. No initial request to create a Boyue / Likebook or Google / Android account. Once I was on the Mimas’ home-screen, I was surprized to find the device’s battery already at 90%. The device also automatically displayed the correct time for my time zone. I tried to enable updates (in both the Boyue and Android settings apps) but I am being told by those apps that I am already up to date (BYRead-V1.0.2-2019032218). I am curious as to when my Mimas was manufactured / the Likebook software installed.

It’s a little disappointing that on the home-screen the sample books in the Recently Read section are all in Chinese. I was able to find the sample English language books, but it is clear that not a lot of effort went into the formatting of those books. The titles for the example notes documents are in Chinese, the actual note templates (accessed from within the default notes app) are in English.

Using the Android settings app, formatting my 128GB microSD card and merging it with the main device storage was the exact same process as with the 256GB microSD card for my cell phone (Android Oreo) a while back, it just took longer (by several minuets).

Following the video I linked to in Part 1, in (Boyue) User Settings I selected the default (furthest to the left) for Page Turn Settings, and Regal Mode every 20 pages (as far as I know Kobo devices (which was my previous e-reader) uses Regal mode refreshing). In Power Management I selected Seep Time to occur after 10 minuets of inactivity, full shutdown after an hour of inactivity, and to disable wi-fi after 10 minuets of inactivity.

Following the directions on this video I enabled the Google Play Store on my Mimas. In the Apps section of (Boyue) User Settings I selected the gear icon on the top right and turned-on Enable Google Framework from the bottom of the list. I was asked for my Google credentials once I launch the Google Play Store for the fist time. Once logged-in, I installed Moon+ Reader Pro, SwiftKey (and adjusting the settings to minimize animations and other un-eink-friendly features), Read&Write for Android (its not available for my Android Oreo cellphone). From the (Boyue) App Store under Tool I installed the Warm/Cold Color Temp app. This app enables the blending of cool and warm front lights in the Mimas, instead of only being able to use one of them at a time. The app is still only in Chinese, but it is extremely basic: the top slider controls the warm light and the bottom slider controls the cool light. I want to install the G-Mail app from the (Boyue) App Store as well, but I want to know if I can password / pin protect particular apps (and not the entire device) first.

With keyboards and other vital usability apps ensure that you enable Boot from Boot and Background Activity in (Boyue) User Setting -> Power Management -> Application Startup Management.

A few notes about the screen: I am finding it glossier then expected; at least that is the case with me looking at the device at my computer desk with its’ small overhead white neon light. Also, after I broke-in the stylus pen by drawing on a blank note page until it was nearly completely black I noticed a few very minor scratches on the screen. This could be a screen quality issue, but more likely is due to my natural tendency to be a hard presser with my pens and pencils.

Tips from the Boyue Likebook (BoyueTechnology) Twitter account which I likely will be referring to latter:

April 16th 2019
How to do the screenshot?
1. Enter into "App"
2. Enter into "Android setting"
3. Enter into "Screenshot"
4. Set the time for it, finished.

April 15th 2019
Do you know how to add (note) templates to your Muses or Mimas?
Just copy your templates (1404*1872 JPG/PNG) to the "note" folder of root directory will be ok

March 13th 2019
Many customers would like to know how to add bookmark?
It is easy, just click top-right corner will be ok.

March 11th 2019
How to add dictionary to Likebook Mimas?
1. First you need to download dictionary from Internet and whose form should be “Stardict”
2. Then create a folder name as “Dict” in your device inner memory root directory
3. Copy the stardict dictionary to the folder, finished

At this point I’m calling it a night. I will be tackling this project some more tomorrow.
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote