View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Hi Brianigoe, and welcome to MobileRead forums.

The best thing would be to create a new thread in this (the EPUB) forum. I saw your other post in the Calibre forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianigoe View Post
I'm new to conversion and am trying to convert my books into Epub. Am using Calibre to do the job, thought I was doing fine as the result seemed legible to me, ran a Validation check using the facility in Sigil, and found a host of problems. May of them read "attribute 'clear' is not declared for element 'br'", some read "hspace" instead of "Clear", one reads "value 'Picture 2' is invalid NCName" and one "The <language> element is missing.". I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. Can anyone tell me if it's fixable, or should I give up and pay someone like Lulu to do it?
- and it looks like you have a range of problems with the HTML code in your EPUB file. The answer to "how to fix them" depends on what method you're using to create the EPUB file and to create the HTML code in the first place, and how much you understand about HTML code.

The error you refer to here:

Quote:
"attribute 'clear' is not declared for element 'br'"
indicates that you've got one or more <br /> elements in your HTML code which contain the "clear" attribute, e.g.:

Code:
<br clear="all" />
However as far as I know, the "clear" attribute isn't valid for <br /> elements in XHTML Strict (it's valid for HTML 4.01, but EPUBs use XHTML 1.0 or XHTML 1.1).

Similarly, from your other post, you refer to a validation error referring to "hspace" - again, that's an HTML attribute which isn't valid in XHTML Strict.

I'm not entirely sure about the "Picture 2" reference - I'd need to see the exact error message, but I suspect it might be that you're using "Picture 2" as the value for an 'id' attribute - you can only use letters, numbers and the underscore character - no spaces.

Finally, the reference to "the <language> element is missing"... again, it's not clear without seeing the full error message exactly as it was displayed, but I suspect it might refer to the .opf file (an XML file that forms part of an EPUB book) - there should be a metadata element in that file defining the main language used in the book, and it could be that it's missing from your EPUB.

I know this doesn't help directly with the question of how to fix these errors, but hopefully it provides some useful background on what the errors mean. If you post more details about how you're creating the EPUB, and how much or little you know about (X)HTML and CSS, someone might be able to help advise on the best way to sort out these errors.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote