View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
menpe
Enthusiast
menpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovermenpe exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Boyue Likebook P78, Onyx Boox i86HDML+
E-reader price trend

I follow the scene since forever, even had 0 day purchases before but I don't like the current trend in the industry.

It looks like the low- to mid €200 market slowly died in the last few years. Of course there are the latest and greatest new features with every yearly cycle (with mostly questionable relevance) but the prices went up too. A new 8" device is well north of €300 where the cut-down 10" devices sat in the past.
You might say "Haaa, but there is inflation!" Around 10% since 2015 (based on $, the € is around 6%). The market is much bigger compared to 2015 with many more potential buyers. There was barely any development with the screens lately so R&D shouldn't influence the costs as much as the pioneer devices before.

Instead of the more approachable devices, the companies completely alienating themselves from the average users with €500+ devices with a lot of unnecessary "extras" or direct them towards the low end Kindle market where the freedom of Android is nonexistent.

I hope something will change in the future but right now as Onyx is kinda the only mainstream manufacturer, the chances are low for a competitive market again.
menpe is offline   Reply With Quote