View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
tvankess
tvankess began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Unhappy new Arc: PC file transfer problems

Searched the forum for an answer, no luck. Just bought the 64GB Arc as a Xmas gift for my partner and I am trying to pre-load a ton of pictures and music.

I tried attaching the Arc to my Acer Aspire 8735G-6198 PC running Win 7 Home Premium, and dragging folders over using Windows Explorer. It's deathly slow, even just to open Arc folders or right-click to see folder Properties, and Windows Explorer often goes "Not Responding" then crashes.

File transfers keep stopping after a few minutes: the Windows "Copying..." status box just sits there stuck on a file doing nothing until eventually after ~10 minutes I get a pop-up box saying "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected", with the choices to "stop copying" or "skip this file", so I never get much transferred. Example: a 503 MB folder with 2 sub-folders and 179 jpg files copied over 463 MB, 2 sub-folders and 164 files when it stopped. See screen grabs attached.

I thought it might be that the Arc was going into sleep mode so I increased it to the maximum 30 minutes, no change. Also, the battery runs down while connected to the PC, so I guess there's not enough power from the laptop to charge it faster than it runs down (can I use a USB Y cable with the charger attached to one leg?).

I want to transfer ~10GB+ each of pictures and music, with folder structure intact, but since it never gets far, I have to manually recreate the original folder structure on the Arc then try copying smaller sub-folders, but at this rate it would take a week of full-time effort!

I looked for file transfer apps with no luck.

Do I have a defective Arc? When I fist attached it to WiFi, it upgraded to 4.1.1. I've read negative comments on this forum about this release, could that be part of the problem? I haven't contacted Arc support yet, thought I'd first try this Forum.

Help Please!
tvankess is offline   Reply With Quote