View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You addressed your questions to Hitch, but I think I can provide some of the answers for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
For reflowable ebook uploads only, is it best to upload an epub(with ET enabled) or a KPF file to KDP? The reason I'm asking is that if you upload an Epub, I've assumed that the epub will still be converted to mobi, KF8 as well as KFX format at the Amazon Kindle end whereas if you upload a KPF file then it will only display on KFX enabled devices only(and not on older mobi or older KF8 devices that don't have ET capability).
Reflowable books published using KPF files created using KC will be delivered to customers in KFX format with Enhanced Typesetting when possible. When KFX is not possible, due to an older device or using download & transfer via USB, MOBI7 format will be used instead. Amazon derives that from the KPF file.

No KF8 format is produced for these books as far as I can tell in my testing. I assume that the same will also be true of books published using KPF files from Kindle Previewer.

Quote:
Second question. Part of the ET specification mentions the new Progressive Download capability for KFX files, which allows the purchaser of any KFX or ET-enabled ebook from Amazon to actually start reading their ebook while its downloading.
The entire book will download as quickly as possible. The difference is that the customer can usually begin reading before it completes.

I do think that Amazon's download charge is excessive given the major declines in the prices of bandwidth and storage over time.

Quote:
Last question. How do you estimate the file size of a KPF file??
It don't know of any good way to do that. The size of the KPF file could be used as a rough upper limit.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote