Thread: toc question
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
toc question

since i got my 1150 i have been transferring files through Filament Books "my bookshelf" feature, which automatically converts documents from different formats to imp (i'm reading a lot of gutenberg books which i have in .txt format mostly). this was intended to be a temporary solution while waiting for my sm card reader to arrive but now it has and it's not working (see my other post if you have any ideas about that !) so i may continue.

i have had good results converting .doc files because i discovered i can easily make a header with the title and author, which i like very much.

then the other day i found the Mrs. Miniver internet edition. i decided to try to use it to experiment with linked TOC, since it already has one (and since i wanted to read it but hate reading books on the pc). so i copied all the text to a new doc file and changed the links to internal ones (within the document, not absolute to the url). i have never done this in word before so luckily it turned out to be pretty easy to figure out, but there might be something obvious i overlooked.

when i uploaded it to my book through filament, the toc works EXCEPT 3 links ; the text of the link is there but it is not linked. when i check the .doc on my computer the link appears to be good, same format as the rest, and if i click it goes to the right place. i tried deleting them in my original .doc and redoing the link / transfer / conversion, still no linky.

i am attaching my doc file (with the links) in case anybody wants to look, but purely for research purposes as it does not seem to be in the public domain (although it is freely available online). the links which do not work ON THE 1150 (they work in the .doc) are :
- Guy Fawkes' Day
- New Year's Eve
- At the dentist's

is there a special trick to making a linked toc ? would it be better to do this directly in an html document with named anchors ? (i assume the html tag to make a page header would be the page title ? also if i do this, can i add a cover image if i have one ? i have not figured out how to include images in a doc file but this may be due to the filament conversion). is this just a random bug ? it's not a big deal for this document but i would like to figure it out for future conversions if i get ambitious...

if i can get my card reader to work (or get another one...) i would like to try using some converstion software myself but for the moment i don't see how to transfer files to the 1150 without using their site...

thanks in advance for any help !

Last edited by Patricia; 01-17-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Copyright violation
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote