View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #17
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This all sounds insanely complicated and reinforces the wisdom of my decision to use unregistered Amazon devices.

In the case of my cheapo 5th gen Fire 7", I bypassed the registration process the first time I turned it on. All the screens one sees when swiping left have stayed completely empty. The home screen looks like and functions like a Windows desktop. I have sideloaded all the apps I ever could want from two major third party websites that, after I fully investigated them, seemed as trustworthy as the official stores of Google and Amazon. I use a malware scanning app before installing anything and have had no problems. I have sideloaded or downloaded via websites all the content I could possibly want from non-Amazon sources.

I registered my basic e-reader Kindle two years ago, but, again, sideloaded all content. I decided to deregister it. I was apprehensive, because some forum contributors (not Mobileread) wrote that doing so would remove all my data. Deregistering it removed nothing.

I offer the above in case there are others who don't want a financial and personal data relationship with Amazon that's fraught with danger as well as privacy issues, but are afraid they have to have one in order to enjoy an Amazon device. They don't.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote