View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #117
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Without getting too political hopefully, unless "right wing extremist" means not insulting the military anytime it's referenced (which it seems to for some people), I haven't detected a political message nearly as strong or overt as, say, Heinlein.
I made it through the first three. Maybe its me, but reading them back-to-back-to-back didn't work for me. (Note that Hymn was his first published work.)

Paladin of Shadows does work back-to-back.
Ditto for The Vorpal Blade series, the Council Wars, and especially his recent BLACK TIDE RISING zombie apocalypse "series" (it's really a serialized mega novel, much like the EMPIRE OF MAN series he co-writes with Weber).

I haven't read PRINCESS OF WANDS yet but it's moving up on my TBR list.

And, no, the "political" issue with Ringo isn't a matter of preaching. (He doesn't bother trying to convince anybody.) Rather it is the generally favorable portrayal of the military and american gun culture that he presents. And occasionally spoofs.
(One scene in INTO THE LOOKING GLASS has the protagonist in a running gunfight with an invading alien monster and he comes to a convenience store where some good old boys are gassing up their pickups. "Shoot it" he screams on the run. Suddenly the good old boys pop out an arsenal the National Guard would envy. Monster never knew what hit it.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-04-2014 at 01:52 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote