View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thanks for the comments so far.

The impression that I want a static 20-year list is misleading - I hope to find works that trigger my reading further into that author's works, or related works by other authors, or seaching for the diametrical opposite. And of course I will just come across things over time, and I imagine there will be new works published every year I will find and enjoy.

I don't want to force myself to read a "classic" because I "ought to", or to only have classics or "great books" on the list. For example, in my youth I couldn't stand Dickens: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it was the..." - come on, get on with it, man! But I want to give myself one more chance to find what so many others have found in his writing.

Time I spend on the list doesn't cut into my reading.

One thing I thought of adding to the public domain books list is a link to my favorite downloadable version, wherever it is online. I'm not looking forward to manual searches for better versions over time, but now I don't know any way to avoid it.

There are plenty of authors that I like that aren't considered "great" writers, and they will be on the list; the idea is to find things I enjoy and benefit from reading. I'll probably try to get my son engaged in reading from the list, but that pretty much covers my evangelical aspirations, or trying to please a wider audience.

Thanks for the reminder on short stories / novellas. I want to include poetry, too.

I haven't checked into Goodreads in a while, I'll do that.

I use Calibre, but I'm not sure if the list itself and how I want it is supported by Calibre; certainly worth finding out, though.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote