Thread: SciFi history?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
mike_bike_kite --- thanks, but I was more looking for the reference which curtw made, for the ebook reader, save I was thinking more of the ubiquitous small hand-held computer --- the first reference I'm thinking of for that would be Niven & Pournelle's _The Mote in God's Eye_ which was from 1974, but surely there were others between 1961 and 1974.

William
I remember that reference and use it often when discussing the modern PDA and smart phone. It is the first reference I remember for the device that everyone uses now, but then it was really science fiction.

I do not recall authors like H Beam Piper using hand held computers at all in their stories. Though James Blish did mention a "cat's brain computer" in the screenplay short story adaptation of the Star Trek episode "Miri" published in the early 70's. However that was the size of a modern desktop printer.

In the old ST Classic episodes, books were read on moniitors rather than hand held devices

The Star Trek Padd was used to read books in STTNG, but that was much later on.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote