View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 AM   #93
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
But there's a flaw to your argument...

Roy,

Probably the *most* important reason to create or download 'pirated' ebooks is to punish the publisher for *not* releasing legal versions.

By sitting there and not making a fuss, you are, in essence, telling them that ebook releases don't matter. That it is okay to deprive you of the convenience of the ebook format at their whim. IOW, you're perfectly willing to purchase the hot, new, racy, sports coupe in basic brown with a 3-cylinder 57HP engine, bench seats and a manual rag-top because, hey, that's the only way the manufacturer will sell it to you. Yeah, right.

If the publishers won't adapt to the market, then the customers will move on to the publishers who *do* listen to them. The current publishing houses are very much manufacturing and sales driven, not customer and market-research driven, as far as their fulfillment and distribution methods are concerned.

And they need to get rapped on the knuckles hard enough to make them wake up and listen to their customer base.

You know, there's this constant whining about how no one *reads* any more. Right. Sure they don't. Nothing could be further from the truth. But most of the new readers don't want to have to set up yards and yards of shelving to store their collections. They want to shove it onto a 1" hard drive or an SD card and carry hundreds of books in the palm of their hand or an oversized cargo pocket.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Nate.. hmm.. maybe you are right that there isn't a monetary 'ripoff' going on in the immediatre sense.. (And I apologize deeply, i read my own post and it looks extremely self righteous. Och. My bad. I didn't mean to come across like that...)

But! I suspect very strongly that if there were no ebook available of HP7.. You would, (If you wanted to read it bad enough without waiting for a library version that she got 'paid' for because the library bought it from her,) save your money, its only 20 bucks or so... And buy it. She really does lose sales when people download the book and read it rather than buying it.

I willl concede that if people buy the book, then get a pirated ebook version There is then NO economic loss to her or the publishers. (Laying aside for the moment the criminal action of breaking the law when you download it illegally)

And yes. I have downloaded books illegally from the internet. They are ridiculously easy to find. Just recently I deleted all of them when i realized i had walked the wrong road.

There are books I want badly on my reader and cant get. The Stand is one... Not on Sony Connect... OK then.. I have to live without it on my reader because S. King, who TOTALLY controls his work and has every right to do so, chooses not to sell it as an e-book. (That is if I want to be on the right side of the law....)

No matter how you look at it... It is illegal and if you download books illegally, You ARE a lawbreaker.. That said... You could call me a lawbreaker because I went 85 MPH on my Bike coming home from work the long way this afternoon so I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest and insult anyone who does illegally download books. (Or speed or cheat on taxes etc. etc. etc...)

Its just an interesting argument to me and if we met and you showed me any books on your reader you may or may not have I would NOT judge you ar thing any worse of you.

We all have to live with our consciences and every one of us has a log in our own eye as we yell at the splinter inj our brothers eye (To quote Christ)

Roy