Thread: Very Annoyed
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSp0ckk View Post
You'd think they would take the time to format it to the screen size of your reader? All it takes is to ask you what reader you have, and then convert the eBook (on the fly or pre-convert) to suit that device's screen.
pdfs are almost always supplied as a single, pre-formatted file, not generated on-the-fly to a custom size. ebook stores are just resellers, distributing files supplied by others (the publishers). some sites like feedbooks will allow you to generate a custom pdf for whatever size you like, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
Right, I shall keep this in mind. I have had a look around the sites I know of and the sites your have suggested and it seems no one offers books in ePub format. I assume this is because of the lack of DRM ePub offers publishers/authors?
no, epub can be used with drm : the first drm scheme for epub is from adobe, the inept scheme. barnes&noble have developped a new variation of that scheme (with adobe) which for the moment will only work on their devices until the firmware for other epub devices gets updated to the new version of adobe content server, but the drm can be removed from both versions easily (google). it's mainly because drm is a more recent format than either of the other two (lit, mobi), so fewer books are available in that format yet. but the offer is improving (slowly).

Quote:
Yes, I suppose I could try that. I'll see if they can, perhaps, offer me an ePub version; it's not likely though.
you never know. it all depends on how helpful they're in the mood to be...

Quote:
They are the three options I've seen: PDF, MS Reader and Mobi Pocket. I'll see if they will give me one of those versions instead.
good luck.

Quote:
Calibre is incredibly annoying. It does a good job though, when it moves its backside
to be honest i don't like converting files much, i find it generally results in messy code (results are very variable though). but it can be a useful starting place if you want to do your own formatting (i use sigil). on the other hand, i use calibre for all my library management and i like it a lot for that.

Quote:
Thanks for your help! You've supplied me with enough knowledge to now do some research and come to a resolution to this issue.
glad to help ! let us know how you manage.

Quote:
This worked very well, actually. I didn't think to try this. Landscape mode makes the reader about annoying to hold in bed, but it means I can read the book now, so not a complete waste.
that is an excellent suggestion indeed. i never read in landscape so i would never have thought of it, but it is certainly the easiest way to fix your problem.

Quote:
Thank you both for your suggestions and tips. I shall go away and do some research and return with my findings and share the results (good or bad).

Regards,

Mike.
i'll be interested to hear how things go. good luck !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote