View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
Here's my take on it.

I had a PRS-500, and I just upgraded to the 600 (no the reflectivity is not an issue for me, but I do notice it). This is a great device. It supports ePub. Any device I buy would have to support that. Remember the Rocket ebook reader? I have a friend of mine who now refuses to buy ebooks because they went under, and he didn't have a backup of all his books. He's afraid that will happen again.

I'm not worried about keeping backups. I'm worried about changing devices. I know that if I got a Kindle, I'd be stuck with a Kindle. You cant' take the books to a new device (hacks aside). If I get the Opus a year from now, I can be confident that my books aren't a problem, since it supports the ePub standard. This is all about consumer choice to me. Having a reader that only supports one store's books is like going to an optometrist, getting glasses, and being told you can only read what he sells you with those glasses.

- Ed
Frankly, you can't be confident you won't lose your books because the Opus or the Sony supports the EPub "Standard." Standards change and, more to the point, there is no guarantee that future implementations of Adobe DRM will be backwards compatible. A lot of people on this board lost Adobe DRMed PDFs during the change to ADEPT DRM. There is no guarantee that Adobe will be be any more trustworthy in the future.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote