View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #64
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
It is at xda under 6.3 stock Rom & has already been rooted. You can download the rooted version there as well. Why would u thinkk xda wouldn't know about it? It.is released to developers first.
Er, it is not released to xda-developers at all. Nobody there got a pre-release version or anything.

What happened is that some smart person divined the new download URL based on the naming scheme Amazon has been using. This was possible once one person got the update OTA automatically and reported the version number. Nothing too hard about it really.

No magic or pre-releases going on there.

Once the Amazon version could be downloaded, it was rooted quickly enough and the pre-rooted version made available.

The new root exploit is significantly more complicated than the last, so that I am afraid to try it... but if I can avoid getting the update automatically I'm considering trying the pre-rooted version (you can't install that once you have already gotten 6.3).

As for the root check... it is a little misleading to say "Amazon can tell" if a device is rooted. Yes there is a root check that runs at boot, but there's no evidence -- yet -- that it phones home to Amazon in any way. It's more accurate to say that your Fire can tell if it's rooted - this may have been put in as an additional check used with the existing streaming Prime video root check. That particular root check is really understandable to me, since Amazon doesn't want to take a chance on some hacker being able to figure out how to get free Prime streaming without Prime - that would kill their licensing agreements.

Keeping an eye on the xda-developers forums is definitely a good idea if you're interested in the whole rooting thing, though the discussion can lean a lot more towards custom roms rather than those of us who just want to add a few things to stock rather than rip & replace.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote