View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Paperwhite 4, Fire HD 8+, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Is that set up by the author or the publisher/seller?
(snip)
How they can be convinced not to (aside from, y'know, not buying their books) is another matter entirely.
Most of the ones I've gotten were indies, so the author was responsible. But I wondered if they are being encouraged to do so by the upload interface on Smashwords, so I went to the site and looked. In the tagging section of the upload process it says:

Quote:
As you type each keyword, suggestions for common tags used by other Smashwords authors may pop up below the field. You may click one to add it to your book's tags. Tagging this way creates 'folksonomy' that will make it easier for readers to find books about subjects they're interested in. (Tags may contain letters, numbers and spaces.)
So, they start typing and naturally add every suggestion that pops up. And this is just Smashwords. For all I know, there could be a "how to self-publish" blog (or a dozen such sites) or something that's telling people to do this, or to use tags for marketing their sites. Just like web page marketing. I mean, if you think about SEO, what used to be acceptable practice is now considered grey hat or even black hat tactics. And it's similar in that they are pushing their product to multiple sites, which would be the equivalent of multiple search engines.

I don't know how to get them to stop, except to point out that it doesn't work and it's really annoying. The worst is the URLs and addresses, but equally annoying is the "20 different ways to say paranormal romance" crap. I don't mind if an author sticks on 10 tags if they are relevant, but some seem to have no clue what's relevant.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote