View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #185
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I didn't claim that he wouldn't have written if it wasn't for copyright. I disputed your claim that copyright didn't do him much good. Although he didn't make enough money to live solely on his writing, he did make some money, which he wouldn't have had made if anyone could just print their own copy without paying him royalties. Thus, copyright was of benefit to him.

It's possible that some authors would have written purely as a hobby if it were not for copyright, but there would be far less written.
Yes, I'm sorry, it was SteveEisenberg who made the unsupported claim that he wouldn't have written if it wasn't for copyright.

Of course, your claim that there would be far less written if it wasn't for copyright is equally unsupported. It is often put forward in this bald way as a support for the copyright regime, without any supporting evidence.