View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That clears it up, thanks! Can you point me toward an easily accessible/available Type1 font? I'm fairly font-agnostic.

Also, what happens if you skip the re-zipping with WinRar altogether? Do the embedded fonts work (assuming there's a Type1 font present) if you just feed the OPF file of an unzipped Sigil ePub to Kindlegen?
Yeah, sure, GandhiSans is a type1. Easy to find and easy to use.

To be hyper-clear, the only way we've found to get the type1's to show up, or, for that matter, to get ANY fonts to show up at all in any title that has any Type1 font in it, is to use the WinRAR-->zip-->rename to ePUB route. Using the WinRAR zipped file as a zip hasn't worked. If we feed the OPF of an uzipped Sigil ePUB to KG, yes, it makes a perfectly good mobi, but again: the fonts get stripped at Step 5 at KDP. All the methods described, previously, make perfectly lovely mobi files, on your desktop. They all look and work great; they simply all get stripped at the KDP post Step-5.

Right? So: mobi's, at home, are making just fine. Whether it's ePUB->KP or ePUB-->KG, or OPF-->KG, or even a zipped HTML file to KG, they all make just fine. Type1 fonts, etc., all display. But not once that same file, or the same source file(s), are uploaded at Step5 at KDP. Then, the pre-existing, perfectly visible fonts disappear. As if they never existed or were improperly coded in the first place. If you replace the Type1's with fonts that aren't Type1, the books build and the fonts hold, post Step-5 (except for the other guy's book--the guy on the other thread? He has something hinky going on with his book that I haven't tracked down yet.)

So, at home, books build like usual. No issues, all methods, regardless of the type of font. At the KDP, only books not using any Type1 fonts "hold," no matter the source, UNLESS you use the hinky WinRAR-->zip-->ePUB route discussed earlier.

I know it's confusing. {sigh}.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote