View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
After further thought... it doesn't surprise me that kindegen/KDP doesn't care about the ePub being valid or not (mimetype compression). It tries its best to convert everything you throw at it after all. So like you initially suggested, it probably has something to do with the compression algorithms. But judging how everything seems to work just fine EXCEPT the embedded fonts, it would seem KDP might be sensitive to how the font files themselves are compressed inside the ePub, and very little else. I wish I was set up to submit to KDP so I could experiment a bit, but I'm not. Unless locally built MOBIs that are then subsequently submitted to KDP exhibit the same behavior?
Well, hell, who knows? When you say, "locally built mobis," you mean mobis built at KDP from ePUBS? Then the answer is yes, they are exhibiting the same behavior. We submitted tons of perfectly valid ePUBs to KDP, made the mobi on the fly, as it were, and POOF!, still no fonts. If you mean something else, then I don't know until I am clear on what you mean.

Amazon's been goosey about Postscripts for a while, saying "recommended" not to use, but this is the first outright nuking behavior, and it isn't just nuking the Type1's, it's nuking all of them. But if you take the Type1's out, then the normal process works--(I may not have said this earlier). You can upload an ePUB or a MOBI, and Bob's-yer-uncle. But if a Type1 is present, the whole thing goes Gaga, and it ain't no Lady.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote