View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
As owner of an 350 too I see things like this:

- bigger screen: one of the advantages of the 350 may be the smaller screen and thus enhanced portability. 5" readers like the 350 are very seldom now. And: the resolution of the 350 is better (both readers have 600x800 pixels).

- better font sizing: yes, that's an clear advantage of the T1 (fixable cumbersome with PRS+ on the 350)

- font choices: Advantage of the T1 or/and that depends on you. Because the 350 with PRS+ as enhancement allows font choices. But you have to prepare CSS-files therefore (which is simple, but not self explaining).
On the other side: then you will have the possibility to use EVERY font you like. Not just 6 which come right out of the box on the T1. Choosing them is simpler.
For me concerning fonts the T1 would be a backstep. I use MY favorite fonts (Nimbus mod; Caecilia) on the 350 wich are not available on the T1.

- WiFi: Advantage of the T1. I don't need it because I don't have free WiFi. For just reading books it's not neccesary. If you have WiFi (free) in you area, WiFi should be an advantage cause using Wikipedia is possible then.

- shiny plastic frame: THE disadvantage for me and a clear no-go. I guess the frame will be scratched very easily too. The 350 looks better and more valuable for at least me. I like it!

- instability: Sony will fix it, I think. But it seems Sony does not like to produce updates very much... could be a risk to wait for updates. Nobody knows. My personal experiences with Sony concerning software is very, very, very bad!

- New reader software: that should be no disadvantage. Sony software ALWAYS is a horror! I would use another thing like Calibre. Or just no software at all which is possible. You can copy (DRM-free) books directly on the reader. For DRM-books you use ADOBE-software.

- Landscape mode: an advantage of the T1. Much better implemented. But I very seldom would use it. I don't like reading in landscape mode.

My personal decision over the T1:

I stick with the 350. I'll wait for other choices to come.
The only advantage for me would be the better font scaling.

The impulse must having something new is the drive to buy things. Even if they are worse. Personally I satisfy it with regularly updating the reader-firmware with custom builds (which is not self explaining and I guess not very easy for the average user) of PRS+.

For example:

turn pages with a singe tab
locking touch-screen for page turning
screenshot
using folder structures on the reader
changing functions of buttons
allowing font choices
using actual page of the book as standby image (very uesefull)
Future updates may include possibility of user dictionaries

From time to time visible and usefull advantages are delivered by the PRS+ - team in ready-made updates. To install them is very easy for the average.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 10-10-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote