Thread: Wool 1,2,3,4,5
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #46
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Welcome, Hugh!

(I have read through book 4, and I'll be reading the 5th by the end of the month.)

I do think it's interesting that you have a--I'm not sure if I want to call it a "strategy" or a "writing style"--that is only possible in the age of ebooks. Do you think that is true? You can release something that's too long to be a short story and too short to be a novel. (Stephen King wrote an essay many years ago about how he loves short stories, but he loses money on them.) Would a domestic publisher shoe-horn you into a more traditional-length work?

And I have to ask. Who would YOU like to see in the movie version?

eP
Evangaline Lily as Jules. I have a crush on her. We cast the entire show on my blog a while back. It was a ton of fun. All kinds of good suggestions from readers.

The publishing strategy was quite by accident. I was writing 100,000 word novels like I was "supposed to." I had two short stories out there that I didn't publicize at all. Wool took off on its own, and I started writing the subsequent stories.

I eased the works into a longer format, not sure how the short format would keep working and scared I would turn off existing fans. It seemed to work. And publishers are now toying with having established authors write short stories between novels to hype releases. There was an article in the NYT about this just last week. So the model I lucked into is the same one publishers are adopting. Not related, of course, but an interesting coincidence.

None of what I've done would have been likely ten years ago. That's my opinion, at least. E-readers change everything. We can write as long as the story needs and price it as cheap as we choose. This is revolutionary. It changes everything. Not many have copped onto this yet.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote