View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
[*]If they would do, they would side with the Pro-DRM-faction. This might be just too "politically charged" for them.
Yes I agree, and everyone save the (some) publishers/(some) authors belives DRM is evil and makes baby Jesus cry.
However I'd rather see a working DRM like DVDs than have what we have today, and ignoring DRM is just a naive attitude. IDPF should have addressed this when it created the ePUB standard especially if it was being touted as an Open format.

Quote:
[*]They did indeed, but made some doubtful decisions (eg. to include SVG support)
Well not really I can make an ePUB book that will not work on the SONY device. Now you can blame sony for that--and I wont disagree-- but you still have a perfectly legal ePUB that will not work on any device. That is not the case for LIT/MOBI/eReader.

Quote:
[*]What did you mean with "certifiable"? That ePub should become a certified standard according to another international organization for standardization (ISO, IETF, ..) or do you mean that IDPF should launch a public certification process?
Yea I guess, I was thinking more along the lines of POSIX, OpenGL, OMG, but I think that falls along the same line as ISO, IETF,IEEE.

The former just have tests to validate software and/or hardware to make sure one is compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This makes perfect sense: .epub for DRM-free, .epuba for Adobe DRM, .epube for eReader DRM, etcetera. It would be in FictionWise's interest to use .epube (say) because that reduces the confusion over a 2nd DRM scheme. They also have gone through this in spades with .pdb. The problem is that Adobe has already "squatted" on .epub for ePub with Adobe DRM.
Wallcraft you are a smart guy... and maybe I'm not as smart as I though I was because after reading this my head hurt.

I honestly believe an extensions solution would be a nightmare. I can honestly not imaging trying to explain this to anybody that is not technical in nature.

I understand where your coming from but instead of patching something that is broken I say fix what is broken.

ePUB v2.0 needs to come out and address the ePUB branding issues and DRM issues. A consumer should not have to worry about the source of where they bought the ePUB they should be able to buy an ePUB from any source and play it on any source that supports ePUB.

Just like a DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The problem is that Adobe has already "squatted" on .epub for ePub with Adobe DRM.
Yep that's smart business. What Adobe is trying to do is establish themselves as the defeacto standard for ePUB DRM. It was just as brilliant for them to kludge PDF and ePUB under the same DRM scheme. Now Adobe has a great marketing tool to say look at all the eBooks we have under DRM. Unfortunately it's at the consumer expense.

I can't blame Adobe that is just smart, and in the end it does not really mess up the consumer they still get what ultimately matters most to them content!

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 04-27-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added some before author and publishers as I realize there are some good hearted pubs and authors. :)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote