View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirok View Post

I'll be the first to admit that fan productions are not, in their base form, meant to be high art. My contention has always been that fan films, for example, are not created for the benefit of their audience but that they are a way of “we-the-people” vicariously becoming a part of our fan obsession. If you have the cash and the drive, you could write, produce, direct and star in your very own Star Trek film!

Readers of fan fiction are often turned off by the way that much of what they read is badly spelled, ungrammatical and stylistically poor and unoriginal plots that have little regard for established canon, especially in the way that canon characters are used.
Ah, I think you're going to hate me. I'm always disagreeing with you....

It's kind of funny you mention "Readers of fan fiction are often turned off by the way that much of what they read is badly spelled, ungrammatical and stylistically poor and unoriginal plots " because that's one of the reasons I'm reading fan fiction in the first place! I got tired of buying books and finding plot holes the size of Alaska, bad plots, bad characterizations, and typos every other page...I swear I've read better fan fiction and if you find the good authors that have editors for their works you can find stories that are moving, epic, and tightly plotted.

I kind of have to disagree about fan fiction/works not being high art. The fans who are talented and creative put a lot of effort into their stories and lately with the move to Livejournal I've seen challenges that incorporate music vids/artwork/icons for the stories. It's just with fan fiction there isn't a filter so writers can write what they want to write and not just what a publisher thinks they can sell so while yes you do get some bad stories but you also get the truly wonderful storytelling experiences too.

For me, I've been meh about published works lately because so many of the books sound the same and all the plots are derivative.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote