View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #52
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I agree about E. G. Marshall as host of "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater." He was excellent in the role of host, and he gave a great performance as Scrooge on "A Christmas Carol" (as far as I know that is the only time he performed as an actor on the show).

"The CBS Radio Mystery Theater" was the first time I'd been introduced to radio programs and I enjoyed it so much that made a point to listen to each and every episode. This, in turn, led to other radio programs such as "Mutual Radio Theater" which featured a different genre each night. Although it didn't last as long as "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater" they broadcast many excellent stories during their short run.

In a related note, I picked up a copy of an audio play of "Waiting For Godot" (from 1956) starring Bert Larh (as Estragon) and E. G. Marshall (as Vladimir). Both were excellent in the roles. Although some of the parts of the play are not covered since they wouldn't work as audio only (such as the rotating hat sequence), it's a solid version. In the 1970s I'd heard this on LP at my local library and I enjoyed the play, so I was very happy to finally be able to purchase a copy of my own when I discovered it on Amazon.com.

With the advent of podcasting, I've rediscovered the enjoyment of audio plays via old time radio shows and have come across many great programs. One I recently discovered is "The Mel Blanc Show" (yes, starring the man who is the voice of Bugs Bunny and many other great characters). It's a very entertaining show and a number of episodes are available as podcasts.

Some have mentioned BBC Audio as an excellent source of audio plays and I agree. I have their version of "The Hobbit" (featuring Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins) and it is a very good version.

Another company I'd recommend is GraphicAudio which as released some excellent audio plays. I've purchased two of their adaptions of DC Comics miniseries and they have been excellent, with large casts and very well done audio effects. As good as the original comics and novels have been, the GraphicAudio audio plays have been my favorites.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote