View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
However, it will also be OBSOLETE in about 12 to 24 months.
Obsolete is a pretty strong word to use for electronic devices. Useful life would be more accurate. Electronic devices continue to do what they were designed to do at the time they were purchased. Just because a newer model is introduced doesn't make the previous model obsolete.

There are some people who are still reading on the original Kindle that they bought when they were brand new and that was more than three years ago. Are they obsolete? No, because they still perform the same function as they did when they were new.

The cell phone I bought 10 years ago would still function if I re-activated it. Is it obsolete? It would only be obsolete if the band on which it operated were no longer available or the battery died and I couldn't find a new battery.

My father-in-law was still using Windows 98 up until last year even though Microsoft has long since stopped supporting it. He could still send and receive e-mail, browse the Web, run the programs that he bought to run on Win98.

Of course I long ago decided that OS was obsolete for me.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote