View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Supporting the Public Library

I am posting this here as I believe it is more appropriate for general discussion versus being in the epub area.

My local Library recently started offering epub based books via Overdrive. While their selection is quite limited now, I am hoping it will grow in the future. To help in that effort, I sent them an e-mail suggesting that they contact Overdrive about offering a method for users to purchase/donate epub based books to the library. My library does this for pbooks at Amazon via a wish list. The patron buys the book and it is direct shipped to the library.

If you are at all interested in participating in this, I urge to send you local library and Overdive an email suggesting they offer it. The library as their direct customer has more leverage. If Overdrive has multiple Libraries and their patrons requesting this, then maybe they will implement it.

This is the e-mail I sent to support@overdrive.com

To whom it may concern:

Please forward this email to the appropriate marketing group as I only had the general support email address.

I am inquiring if there is a mechanism available from Overdrive to purchase epub based books for my local library. My library has a which list set up on Amazon where patrons can purchase books that are then directly shipped to the library

If there was a mechanism to set up a library wish list on Overdrive similar to what is used at Amazon, I believe it would be a benefit. If patrons could purchase purchase/donate epub books for a library, it would be a three way win. Patrons could buy books for the Library at Overdrive. As benefit, possibly they would have first right of checkout. Overdrive would get the book sell. The library would get the book, expanding the epub selection available.

Obviously eBooks are a chicken and egg item. Without a broad user base, there is no incentive for a library to spend precious capital on eBooks. With the price of purchasing a dedicated reader, you kind of feel cheated paying the same price for an eBook as you pay for paper based book. Before, I could give the book away after I read it and help the library in the book sale. If I could purchase some of my books in this manner I would.

Sincerely,
xxxxx

Edit: to add link and addtional text.
This edit is to include the link to the message thread identified by susan_cassidy bellow. My apologies for not searching for this subject prior to posting. I still think it would be a good ideal for multiple people to suggest to OverDrive that they provide a way to donate books via a button as described in the other thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ooks+overdrive

Last edited by switchman2210; 06-22-2010 at 07:52 PM.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote