View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan View Post
I think the biggest problem (especially for new authors) is that it is difficult to get a truly objective opinion on your work. Of course everyone thinks that they have written something great, but there are some self-published works out there (quite a few actually) that really aren't "ready for primetime." [...]
Yes I have found this a very big problem for myself especially. Since I am not part of a writers's group or similar, I have no feel for just how well it might be received by a publisher - and, of course, you get no useful feedback from rejection letters. I recently sent my first novel for a professional appraisal by a company here in Australia (a company that appears to be reputable and offer a good service), I am still waiting for their report (with a mix of dread and hope ).

Thank you for your responses - not just to me, but also the others you have written on this thread. Your generally positive feedback is pleasing to find after the many negative things I have read about traditional publishing paths, and all the more so since traditional publishing is what I have been working towards as a first preference.

I do have another question that you (or perhaps someone else here) may have some comment on:

In Australia there seem to be very few avenues for new fantasy writers (only two publishers accept unsolicited works, and so far I've only found two agents that appear willing to represent fantasy authors (looking through their profile and their "stable" of authors)). When I read about authors getting rejected a dozen times or more before finding someone that will accept their submission, it has me wondering where that leaves me. I've already managed rejection from both publishers, and I'm doing the appraisal thing before I try the agents, but if they don't come out then things start to look pretty dismal.

Is it viable for new authors to approach agents in other countries (I was thinking the UK, perhaps, for myself). Or does losing out on my local options leave me, realistically, only with self-publishing?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote