View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Beta testers needed

Hi all,

I've spent the last two weeks doing some major surgery to calibre's internals to remove a dependency on ImageMagick for image processing. The result is that that the calibre installation size decreases by 15MB and (hopefully) all image processing functionality remains intact. The immediate motivation for this change was some security issues recently found in ImageMagick, though it has been on my long term TODO list for a while.

However, since these changes are fairly invasive, I may well have broken bits of functionality here and there. Particularly if you use any third party plugins that do image processing. So I would appreciate it if some of you could downloads betas and try them out.

In addition to the image processing changes, I also changed the way file open/save dialogs are used in calibre on windows (they are now used via a helper process) -- this should hopefully resolve most of the crashes caused by badly designed Shell extensions on windows.

Please report any problems you encounter here.

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

Thanks.

P.S. There is an extra windows 64-bit build in that folder that has Qt 5.5.1 and was compiled with Visual Studio 2015 (calibre-64bit-2.56.0-vs2015.msi) Dont install that unless you want to test out even more beta code (calibre 3.0 will be based on it)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote