View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
In HTML the & apos ; entity is a straight apostrophe. There is no curly apostrophe entity (annoyingly), so it seems that everyone has to use the & rquot ; entity - the right single curly quote that usually looks like a curly apostrophe.
There's ' only because it could be needed in some cases in strings, (just like there's &amp, but I think there was some weird conflict between HTML, XML and XHTML, meaning that ' is not correct in some of them, or something like that.

Other than that, the curly apostrophe is ’ (not &rquot; ), because in Unicode they are the same character, unfortunately. When I need to keep the difference, I use & #8217; for the apostrophe, but that's only useful as long as all modifications are done manually (any HTML-aware software will see ’ and & #8217; as the same thing, probably).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote