View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch Sony PRS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Well as I understand it you have to make sure it is 'fair use' rather than outright copying of large chunks. If you use more than (I think) 10% of a given text you have to have permission from the author whose work you are quoting. I'm not sure what the procedure is for a book that's in PD. I mean is it a translation of a PD book? If so how long ago was it translated? Even if the original was in PD the translation might not be.
Thanks crich. Yeah, I think I'll be okay. I'll just be quoting a sentence or two. I've been asking around and some people say I'll need footnotes, written permission, to pay the author a fee and have them read my book before I publish it.

That seems crazy. And esp. since my book is non-academic, more of a memoir really.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote