View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #265
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
For some perspective of where I am coining from here is my eBook history:

I started electronic e-book reading back when PocketPCs where introduced (talk about burning out your eyes...). I was thrilled when the "high resolution" 640x480 HP iPaq was released. When Sony released the Sony Reader 500 I was completely blown away by eInk. I still see a lot of names here from back in the Sony hacking days - I all I wanted was the @#$# time to display . I broke the screen on the 500 1yr in and and bought the 505 which is still in use today by my wife (being replaced by PW today). I bought the lightwedge cover for night reading but it was pretty awkward and got shelved once the iPad was released. I read exclusively on the iPad for a while but missed the ability to read in the sun so bought a Nook Touch last year and then only used my iPad in bed for night reading due to how much better eInk looks. The iPad 3 retnia display was a huge step forward and started making my Nook look a bit blurry but still does not work well outside and is too bright at night. I got really tired of switching between my iPad and the Nook but was not ready to jump to the Nook Glow as the screen really did not look so good to me. I bit the bullet and went all in for the PW when it was announced even though I HATE that it does not use the ePub standard (thank goodness for Calibre).

Anyway, I have to say that I am very happy with the PW so far. I managed to get most of the current ePubs I've purchased converted to mobi though getting cover art to show up was a bit tricky. I think the light looks great and keep it on all the time (assume most will). The cover is probably the best ebook cover I've used since it does not make it much bigger, folds back behind the reader perfectly (I destroyed a bunch of Sony covers due to folding), and turns the PW on and off.

I love the hardware but the software could use some work. Again, the handling of covers in side loaded books is weak - hopefully someone will figure out a fix to that but for now I made them "sharable with facebook" in Calibre so they show up as personal documents with an annoying banner telling me so that covers up 20% of the cover.

Another complaint is that in addition to the ads (I assume it does not turn off if you pay the $20 to remove ads) they use up a row on the home screen for advertising their bests selling books. I know the Nook does the same thing and I was not thrilled with it there either. I would much prefer to have two rows of my books like I see when I swipe to the second page. I can go into list mode if I want but I like the covers!

Anyway, I am very pleased with the PW and think it is the best ebook reader yet!
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote