View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Best Fantasy Anthologies

While we're doing Science Fiction anthologies, figured we could find the best Fantasy ones too. Some stories seem to wind up in both camps like Terry Bisson's Bears Discover Fire, which I'm not that wild about, and McCaffrey's Pern stories which I like a lot... - but most don't.

These are the best Fantasy anthologies I've read.

Legends, edited by Robert Silverberg, (includes novellas by Stephen King, Terry Goodkind, Anne McCaffrey, Raymond Feist, Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett, Orson Scott Card, Robert Silverberg, Ursula Le Guin, Tad Williams and George R. R. Martin) which is NOT ebook'd and is kind of the Holy Grail of Fantasy Anthologies.

Legends II, edited by Robert Silverberg, (includes novellas by Robin Hobb, Martin, Card, Diane Gabaldon, Silverberg, Williams, McCaffrey, Feist, Elizabeth Haydon, Neil Gaimon and Terry Brooks, BUT - this one IS ebooked,

Word of warning about the first one. It was so successful that the publisher split it and republished it into 3 books, each with 3-4 novellas "with the same name". Legends Vol 1, Vol 3, Vol 3. If they do finally ebook Legends I, be careful what you're getting and I also mention it if you decide to buy it used and scan it for yourself.

A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic, edited by Margaret Weis -- Pretty good, not perfect but lots of good stories and I list it because most stuff isn't ebooked. If you looove dragon stories though, you'll love it. I like dragon stories

These are other good ones I've read and like but they aren't ebooked either.

Treasures of Fantasy, edited by Margaret Weis, and Tracy Hickman
A Magic-Lover’s Treasury of the Fantastic, edited by Margaret Weis
Once Upon a Time: A Treasury of Modern Fairy Tales, edited by Lester Del Rey
Daughter of Regals, written by Stephen R. Donaldson
'Thieves' World' Anthologies (12 of 'em), edited by Robert Lynn Asprin
The Fantasy Hall Of Fame, edited by Robert Silverberg

Do you have any good ones you've found? Lots of "Year's Best" ones but I haven't read any myself.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-08-2009 at 09:01 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote