View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Which ebook store do you find has the best quality (well-formatted) ebooks?

I find it interesting that even when comparing ebookstores that carry epub, the formatting varies quite a bit. I guess it depends on whether a bookseller buys the right to images (the cover, etc.) but also small things like in a Kobo sample of Reaper's Gale by Erikson (also, strangely enough, the first book of Erikson's series is only available as scanned pages (yuck) on the Google bookstore, whereas it's available as proper reflowable epub elsewhere), the first letter of chapters that is produced by image (you know when a paragraph begins with a fancy first letter and then normal text) is used for one chapter, the second chapter there is a space for the image but the image doesn't exist, so the word starts without the first letter, and Google ebooks just omits the fancy letter altogether and reproduces the whole first word in regular text. For the first book in the series, B&N ebook has the most "faithful-to-the-paper-book" formatting, it includes the fancy fonts of the paper book, which I appreciate. I'm just wary of buying B&N because my sony can't read those books (unless I de-drm?).

Also some of the books do a better job of reproducing scene breaks.

What is your preferred ebookstore for your epubs? I wanted to rely on Google because you can access the books anywhere you have internet, and because I don't fear as much that the Google bookstore is going to go away and I'll lose access to my books (not an idle fear). but in some ways Kobo was formatted better. In some ways Google better. Of course every individual book will vary and the best I can do is likely comparing samples and choosing accordingly, but I was wondering what your "default" ebookstore is.

Last edited by seajewel; 10-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote