View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I don't think it's so much laziness, so much as there aren't any readily available tools for the average person to create mobi books for Amazon.

You either have Kindlegen, which requires a knowledge of computers (it's a command line program) and HTML (knowing what ncx and opf files are), or you have a plugin for an extremely expensive professional layout program.

Amazon needs to come out with a WYSIWYG editor for Mobi.

I mean, yes, obviously someone could learn HTML and so forth, they'd rather, you know, be writing books.
I think that is one advantage that ePub has. Some of the apps that people may already have are beginning to support it. I mean, InDesign isn't an uncommon app for those in the publishing world, and it supports ePub. Plus there is Sigil now, which works really well to make good epubs, without a lot of knowledge, and is free.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote