View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
don't see why amazon doesn't just release an overdrive-only application for reading them.
Because they want people to buy books from them. Not borrow library books.

It's the same reason they don't mind that the "free" book section of their site is full of badly formatted junk, and many PD books are sold many times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I just thought of something - obviously, immoral or illegal or....

But the fact that a PUBLIC library loans books in a format that is restricted to certain readers might be grounds for, well, de-drm-ing them. Not to violate the length of the borrowing period but to read them on a comfortable reader in an arm chair rather than at a pc, at a desk.
Well, many (or at least some) authors think that libraries are immoral (though not illegal). They only get one sale of their book, yet hundreds of people read it. Those sales are "lost" just as much as the sales that are supposedly lost to piracy (which is in the eye of the beholder), but perfectly legal.

And then on top of that, when the demand is over, the library just sells the book, directly competing with sales of new copies. (Okay okay, by then it usually has a lot of wear and tear, but anyone who has been to a used book store has no doubt found a lot of former library copies).

I'm not sure what my point is, other than you pretty much have to decide what you find moral or not, and live with your conscience.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote