Thread: Sigil v0.1.2
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #36
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The advantage is that of using the distribution's package system, which means you have a centralized database of installed packages, a centralized way of installing and uninstalling, of querying the version installed, etc.

At the moment you may have a single file (which I just copy in ~/bin, by the way), but later on you may want to install man pages, samples, templates, HTML help pages, command-line helper apps... It's a good practice to use "sudo checkinstall" rather than "sudo make install".
Oh I agree, it's good practice. But currently for Sigil I think there is little point. Of course, no harm would come from using it.

Although in general I have heard that checkinstall instills one very bad practice in users: the distribution of packages created with it, when those packages are meant for the machine where it was first run. People think that the created package is just like those from the repos, and this creates problems.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote