View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I think you'll find that all reading apps on Windows will work only from their own copy of the book. Calibre can work with these quite well, but you'll have to manually remove books from the reader's "library" when you've finished reading them or you will have an ever increasing list of duplicates on you computer. Also, altering the book in calibre won't alter the copy in the reader app's library.

There are two ways to open a book from calibre's library in an "external" reading app. If, and only if, the app supports opening a book that is passed to it along with its system level launch instruction you set up two methods that make it easy to open from calibre. One is to make the reading app the default system app for the book's file extension(s) (e.g. .mobi, .epub, .azw3, ...). You can then simply click on the format in the Book Details panel to launch the reader and open the book. Alternately, you can use the Open With plug in to all manual control of which app is called for each format and can have choice of multiple reading apps for any one format. These can work for almost any "Desktop" reading app.

You may have difficulty using Open With with Modern interface (nee "Metro") apps. If you do, you can simply setup an easy to find folder for calibre to use with its Save to Disk export function and then manually launch the reader app and navigate to that save folder to find the book.

I've been using a Dell Venue 8 Pro (8" tablet running Win8.1) as my ereader for some six months. I have calibre installed with some 1600 books. I've not yet decided which reading app I prefer; each have their advantages. Finding one with the right feature set and good touch behavior is difficult. I've used calibre's ebook-viewer, Amazons Kindle for PC (the desktop version), Book Bazaar Reader (a Modern app from the Microsoft Store), and several others. I find Book Bazaar the most comfortable to use so far, but it lack a number of feature I like.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote