View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by swineone View Post
Thanks for replying.

So as I understand, Calibre Companion is used to sync with the Mac, but then to actually read books, I have to transfer them from Calibre Companion to the reader app, and manually delete them when done? And in the meanwhile, they will be taking up space in both apps (Calibre Companion and the reader app)? I have to admit, I find that a little awkward. In that regard, iBooks is in my opinion much better.

Can you add ebooks to Calibre Companion in the iPad? Will they sync back to Calibre running in the Mac?

What about tagging? Will Calibre Companion work correctly with the subgroups/genres tagging system that I mentioned in my post?

My understanding is that Calibre Companion's main advantage is that it shows up as a device inside Calibre. Is it the only app for iPad that does that?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm really struggling to "get" how Calibre and Calibre Companion works.
The purpose of Calibre Companion is to have Calibre information available to you on your iDevice (the primary version is the android version). As far as I can tell, iBooks (or Books as it's known now) doesn't have all the meta data available that Calibre does. There are several reading apps that talk directly to Calibre. I use Marvin and synced Marvin up with Calibre before Calibre Companion was ported to iOS from Android. Marvin works fairly well, though Marvin is now just a one way sync (from Calibre to Marvin) since the Marvin plug in stopped working a couple of years ago. No idea how well Maple Reader works or what type of library management it has. I've played with it a little bit, but not much.

Your main problem is that perfection doesn't really exist and frankly, most of these sort of apps can't make money, so they are works of love that are only updated sporadically. At one time, the Marvin/Calibre combo did much of what you want, but as I said, the two way sync was broken with an iOS update and the plug-in developer moved on to other things. That's the reality as I understand it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote