View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The first file is an example of how I do chapter headings. Open the file in a text editor, and note the page break, anchor, and the tags. If you add this file to a Mobi ebook, the code will work. I'm told it will also work with Epub, but I haven't tested it.
Hi Nate, great idea for a thread.

Personally, I would like to use heading tags for chapter titles. So for example, I might use h1 for the book title and then h2 for each chapter title because I don't see chapter titles as just being special paragraphs.

Then, since there seems to be a slight preference on Mobileread among North American English readers to have paragraphs indicated by indenting but not indent the first paragraph, I would add something like this:

Code:
p {
    text-indent: 1.5em;
}

h2 + p {
    text-indent: 0em;
}
This should make most paragraphs have an indent of 1.5em but paragraphs that come after chapter headings have no indent.

I got this snippet from the Thoughtcrime Experiments Anthology which is a nicely laid out e-book.

Edit: Also, I'm curious why you put some top margin in your first paragraph of text. Why not put bottom margin on the chapter title? Then all of the text could be just plain paragraphs.

Edit 2: If you use some kind of break to indicate switch of point of view, or time has passed etc. (like a horizontal rule, or maybe some centered asterisks etc.) don't forget to make a rule for the first paragraph after the break to also not indent....

Edit 3: <headslap> I forgot to mention that the reason my copy of Thoughtcrime Experiments is so nicely laid out is because it was done by forum member llahsram!

Last edited by radius; 07-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote